A product of hard labor
Hey everyone! It's Labor Day! And I wanted to tell you about a conversation I had with Mommy this morning after I woke up. It was all about Mommy being in LABOR when I was born....get it, "Labor" Day - ha! I asked her lots and lots of questions and here's what she told me:
Q: How long were you in labor, Mommy?
A: I was admitted to the hospital at 5:30 PM on Feb. 1st and they gave me some special medicine to start labor. They began to induce with stronger medicine at 4:45 AM on Feb. 2nd. My water broke on it's own at 8:15 A.M. and you were born at 8:01 P.M....so officially I was in "labor" for 26 1/2 hours but not all of it was bad!
Q: Did you ever feel any pain?
A: Is this a trick question? About 10 AM the day you were born the contractions were already less than 2 minutes apart...and I did NOT like the contractions. I was in pain lying down, sitting in a chair, lying on my side - pain was everywhere no matter what I did!
Q: Did you ever get any medicine to help the labor pains?
A: Yes, Yes, Yes! I got an epidural around 1 PM that afternoon. My anesthesiologist put the needle in my back while I was leaning forward into your Daddy's chest...that part didn't hurt at all! And the rest of the day was great!
Q: How was I born?
A: You came by C-section. Dr. Dozier made the decision around 7 PM and called in his surgical team. After waiting what felt like an eternity to get into the operating room, I was finally transferred and given more medicine. I didn't want a C-section but something was wrong. We found out later on that the umbilical cord was wrapped around your neck so it was the right thing to do for sure!
Q: Was Daddy there?
A: Yes! They even made him put on hospital scrubs...he stayed by my face for the whole surgery talking to me and rubbing my hand. He kept telling me I was OK, he loved me, and to stop shaking! Ha! I was shaking and crying - and I couldn't control either one!
Q: What did Daddy think about labor?
A: He thought I was being a big baby - ha! You know, Dr. Dozier let Daddy watch you being pulled out of my body!
Q: Really?
A: Yep, he was the 1st one to see you! He immediately checked out your breathing (you cried the whole time), your fingers and your toes.
Q: When did you get to see me, Mommy?
A: Right after they cut the umbilical cord they brought you to the left side of my face. I got to smell you, smile at you and kiss your head full of black hair. Then they took you away.
Q: To where?
A: First they weighed you ( 8 lbs. 8 ounces) and measured you (21 inches). Then you went with Daddy to the nursery. But he was carrying you and made a pit stop on the way to see everyone waiting to welcome you into the world...Gramercy, Papa Doc, Nana, Pa, Aunt Carol, Uncle A, Aunt Kelly, Brother Robert, and Ms. Ann.
Q: When did you get to hold me?
A: About an hour after you were born I was taken back into the hospital room. It seemed like forever when the nurses brought Daddy in and then they wheeled in your bassinet. They left us alone in the room and Daddy put you on my chest. You screamed at me! I talked to you, kissed you, and Daddy took pictures. It was the best moment of my life to be with the two of you right then and there....I'll NEVER forget it!
Q: I love you, Mommy.
A: I love you too, Punkin!
Happy "Labor Day" to all of the Mommies out there that truly come to realize that labor is love! (And continues EVERY day after you get out of the hospital - ha ha ha!)
Q: How long were you in labor, Mommy?
A: I was admitted to the hospital at 5:30 PM on Feb. 1st and they gave me some special medicine to start labor. They began to induce with stronger medicine at 4:45 AM on Feb. 2nd. My water broke on it's own at 8:15 A.M. and you were born at 8:01 P.M....so officially I was in "labor" for 26 1/2 hours but not all of it was bad!
Q: Did you ever feel any pain?
A: Is this a trick question? About 10 AM the day you were born the contractions were already less than 2 minutes apart...and I did NOT like the contractions. I was in pain lying down, sitting in a chair, lying on my side - pain was everywhere no matter what I did!
Q: Did you ever get any medicine to help the labor pains?
A: Yes, Yes, Yes! I got an epidural around 1 PM that afternoon. My anesthesiologist put the needle in my back while I was leaning forward into your Daddy's chest...that part didn't hurt at all! And the rest of the day was great!
Q: How was I born?
A: You came by C-section. Dr. Dozier made the decision around 7 PM and called in his surgical team. After waiting what felt like an eternity to get into the operating room, I was finally transferred and given more medicine. I didn't want a C-section but something was wrong. We found out later on that the umbilical cord was wrapped around your neck so it was the right thing to do for sure!
Q: Was Daddy there?
A: Yes! They even made him put on hospital scrubs...he stayed by my face for the whole surgery talking to me and rubbing my hand. He kept telling me I was OK, he loved me, and to stop shaking! Ha! I was shaking and crying - and I couldn't control either one!
Q: What did Daddy think about labor?
A: He thought I was being a big baby - ha! You know, Dr. Dozier let Daddy watch you being pulled out of my body!
Q: Really?
A: Yep, he was the 1st one to see you! He immediately checked out your breathing (you cried the whole time), your fingers and your toes.
Q: When did you get to see me, Mommy?
A: Right after they cut the umbilical cord they brought you to the left side of my face. I got to smell you, smile at you and kiss your head full of black hair. Then they took you away.
Q: To where?
A: First they weighed you ( 8 lbs. 8 ounces) and measured you (21 inches). Then you went with Daddy to the nursery. But he was carrying you and made a pit stop on the way to see everyone waiting to welcome you into the world...Gramercy, Papa Doc, Nana, Pa, Aunt Carol, Uncle A, Aunt Kelly, Brother Robert, and Ms. Ann.
Q: When did you get to hold me?
A: About an hour after you were born I was taken back into the hospital room. It seemed like forever when the nurses brought Daddy in and then they wheeled in your bassinet. They left us alone in the room and Daddy put you on my chest. You screamed at me! I talked to you, kissed you, and Daddy took pictures. It was the best moment of my life to be with the two of you right then and there....I'll NEVER forget it!
Q: I love you, Mommy.
A: I love you too, Punkin!
Happy "Labor Day" to all of the Mommies out there that truly come to realize that labor is love! (And continues EVERY day after you get out of the hospital - ha ha ha!)


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home